Tights and I

I love tights. Okay, that's a terrible opening sentence, but it's true.
I love the look of tights, I love the funky patterns you can get, the different colours. They're so much more interesting than plain old leggings.

When I was in school, fashion for plus size girls/women was ugly and frumpy. Tights were a no go for fat girls. I felt like they didn't look as good on me as they did on the thinner girls. I carried that notion with me all through school, and into college.
One day, I was feeling brave and left the house in a pair of very sheer GREEN leopard print tights. 
Needless to say, not my best look, but hey, I was 17! I was subjected to a LOT of weird looks and comments they left me feeling so utterly disgusting. I was scarred for life!

The years went on, and I still avoided tights like the plague. I wanted to wear tights, but I didn't want to accentuate my fat legs. I still had that niggling thought in the back of my mind 'fat girls shouldn't wear tights'.

Learning to love my body and taking an interest in plus size fashion, I started to open my eyes. I could wear whatever the fuck I wanted, as long as I felt confident in it. I follow some damn amazing psbloggers who rock tights all the time! It set my mind in motion, I could look that amazing in tights, if I so wished. and boy did I wish!

I dug out that old Evans pair at the back of my draw and put them on. It took lots of tugging and twisting, but I was in them! I spent lot of time looking in the mirror and asking my personal stylists (my mum and sister) if they looked okay on me. To which the reply was obviously yes!






I felt confident enough to go out in them! I threw on my favourite New Look skater dress and I felt amazing! After not wearing tights out in public forever, it was such a surreal experience!
This time round, I didn't get weird looks from people, well I did, but that's because I was tugging at the crotch to pull them up! But no gasps of horror from strangers which is always a good sign.

Looking at these photo's back gave me a huge confidence boost, I think I look great in this outfit, and my chunky legs actually look pretty damn fab. (If I do say so myself!)

I have 100% changed how I feel about wearing tight out now! FAT GIRLS CAN WEAR TIGHTS!
More importantly, I can wear tights and they look good on me.

Have you ever struggled with wearing tights?

9 comments:

  1. I used to hate tights until I was sent some by the Big Bloomers Company. Their tights are amazing, in particular these ones http://thebigbloomerscompany.co.uk/TIGHTS-PLUS-SIZE-ALL-WOMAN-OPAQUES.html Now I don't want to take them off. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing other bloggers taking about their tights as well! I might have to treat myself after christmas! I just want to live in tights and cute dresses forever! Thanks for the link lovely! xo

      Delete
  2. This outfit looks great on you! Skater dresses are so versatile :)

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This dress is a staple in my wardrobe and I wear it a lll the time! So comfy! xo

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your look. So gorgeous! I love tights, but I never know what shoes to wear with them. And I get this weird pilling (the little balls) at the part of the tights that rubs on my shoes and the bottoms of my feet. That makes me self-conscious, for some reason, and I always have to wear shoes that covers the little "pills" up. Does that ever happen to you? If so, what do you do about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, thank so much! :)
      I usually throw on a pair of dolly shoes, because they look so cute with tights! I get the pilling too! I'm not really sure what you can do about it tbh. It's the friction rubbing the fabric up, Just one of those things I guess. :( xo

      Delete
    2. You can gently use your razor to get rid of the the little bobbles on tights! Emphasis on gently because tights plus razor equals rip almighty hah! I love tight too! I pull them up proper high and they really suck in all my jiggly bits!! xx

      Delete
  4. Oh god yes, I used to hate tights, but not anymore. I use Big Bloomers Companys tights and they are amazing. I absolutely love them. I have reviewed them on my blog http://muki7x7.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/big-bloomers-company.html and these tights made me love tights again. You look great in tights and I'm glad you love them now. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I am so lucky to find this brilliant blog regarding Stylish Leggings. I must be admired that yours tights is looking superb. But I have one confusion in my mind that can we wear those on summer? So dear I am waiting for your valuable suggestion about my question. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete